So I did some searching, and I found a website called Imbee. It allows parents, kids and parents to set up accounts on their sites.
Taken right from their website . . .
Kids! Sign up now and start using imbee right away. When your parent approves your account, you'll be able to use the great imbee features!
Each account allows the user to share pictures, audio and movie files, create social groups and chat sessions. Depending on the type of account the user has, restrictions can be set to limit the user's access to these features.
Overall, I think this site can be used in the classroom between teacher and students, and also at home between parent and child. As long as the child is supervised while using this site, and has restrictions set on his/her account, he/she will have difficulty seeing or doing something that is inappropriate.
This is a very interesting YouTube video that shares the numbers of people involved in some type of social network.
This is a very interesting YouTube video that shares the numbers of people involved in some type of social network.



3 comments:
Jenn,
I think it's great that you found a social networking site that seems to be a lot safer for kids than myspace or facebook. Although I am all for kids interacting with each other, I am still leary about kids constantly interacting with each other online through these sites. I'm not a parent yet, but I'm sure I'll be ten times as paranoid with these sites once I am.
I was thinking the same thing, Tom. Thanks for sharing this website, Jenn. As I was checking it out, I found that it had a link to CARU (Children's Advertising Review Unit), which is supported by the Better Business Bureau. I'm going to sign up as a teacher and see what it entails for security for signing up my students. Thanks, again for locating and sharing this site!
This was such a great site. Hearing you and Laura talk about your experience with it so far has been wonderful. Keep me posted as you begin to use it with students. I would love to know how it works out!
Post a Comment